Searching potential drug compounds for therapeutic activity
We focus on evaluating novel compounds for their medicinal activity. We are currently testing many such compounds for anticancer activities by using assays like wound healing assay, migration assay, cytotoxicity assay. We are also performing a targeted gene and protein expression profiling. The efficacy of the potential drug molecule is being tested on primary cells and the cell line. We are also carrying out in vivo studies in collaboration with other researchers.
Toxicity testing of nanoparticles and drug molecules
We have a group of experienced researchers from the pharmaceutical industry and collection of cell lines which are routinely used for testing toxicity of particular drugs. Having this excellent resource, we have tested many novel nanoparticle formulations as well as drug particles for their toxicity.
Studies on primary cells and cell lines
Another area of our research is to study various bioactive compounds as protecting agents for mammalian cells against the stress of chemotherapy drugs, radiations, cryopreservation, etc. The compounds showing positive results will be further evaluated. They could have their applications in chemotherapy and radiotherapy where they can be used as adjunct supplements.We also focus on studying the molecular pathology of diseases like cancer.
In vitro model development for the study of various diseases
We are trying to mimic the 3D (in vivo) environment in the lab using biodegradable polymers. The successful development of functional scaffolds will have wide applications in research and testing of novel therapeutic molecules.
Identifying potential disease biomarkers
In collaboration with hospitals in Pune, we are studying clinical samples. We have preserved these samples at our cryopreservation facility. We will be finding out a gene and protein expression markers for early disease diagnosis.
Services we provide:
- Cytotoxicity and anticancer assays
- Toxicity testing of novel drugs
- Creation of cell lines with differential expression of genes
- Cryopreservation and maintenance of biological samples, primary cells
- Training of basic and advanced cell culture techniques
- Protein expression analysis using western blotting and 2D gel electrophoresis
- Biosafety cabinets for cell culture
- Freezer (-20oC and -80oC)
- Liquid nitrogen facility for cryopreservation of cells
- CO2 incubator
- Inverted Microscope
- 2-D gel electrophoresis system
- MilliQ Ultrapure Water Filter Assembly
1. Vidya Ramdas, Rashmi Talwar, Moloy Banerjee, Advait Arun Joshi, Amit Kumar Das, Deepak Sahebrao Walke, Prashant Borhade, Usha Dhayagude, Rajesh Loriya, Ganesh Gote, Apparao Bommakanti, Aruna Sivaram, Gautam Agarwal, Arnab Goswami et al., Discovery and Characterization of Potent Pan-Genotypic HCV NS5A Inhibitors Containing Novel Tricyclic Central Core Leading to Clinical Candidate. J. Med. Chem. 2019, 62, 10563−10582. (PMID: 31710479)
2. Limbkar K, Dhenge A, Jadhav DD, Thulasiram HV, Kale V, Limaye L. Oral feeding with polyunsaturated fatty acids fosters hematopoiesis and thrombopoiesis in
healthy and bone marrow-transplanted mice. 2017 Sep;47:94-105. (PMID: 28570944)
3. Limbkar K, Dhenge A, Jadhav DD, Thulasiram HV, Kale V, Limaye L. Data on the effect of oral feeding of Arachidonic acid or Docosahexanoic acid on haematopoiesis in mice. Data Brief. 2017 Aug 9;14:551-557. (PMID: 28861453)
4. Dhenge AC, Limbkar K, Melinkeri S, Kale VP, Limaye LS. Arachidonic acid and Docosahexanoic acid enhance platelet formation from human apheresis-derived CD34(+) cells. Cell Cycle. 2017. 7:1-12. (PMID: 28388313)