MIT School of Bioengineering Sciences & Research, MIT-ADT University, Pune
Dr. Balkrishna A. Shinde completed his Bachelor's (2006), Master's (2008) and Ph. D. (2018) degree in Botany from Department of Botany, Savitribai Phule Pune University and CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India. His doctoral work comprises regulation of plant-induced defense by WRKY transcription factor to improve resistance in tomato against fungal pathogen, Alternaria solani. He was visiting Ph. D. scholar at Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel to work on the functional characterization genes involved in Steroidal Glycol-Alkaloid biosynthesis in tomato. He was UGC-Dr. D. S. Kothari postdoctoral Fellow (Higher Fellowship) at Shivaji University, Kolhapur, India. His postdoctoral work included molecular mechanism of defense response during pigeonpea-Fusarium interaction. He also worked as Senior Project Associate, Division of Biochemical Sciences, CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory, Pune to work on molecular diversity, colchicine content and seed germination aspects of Gloriosa superba. The main emphasis of his research work includes plant–pathogen/pest interactions, plant specialized metabolites and plant metabolic pathway engineering.
- M.Sc. in Botany with Specialization: Plant Physiology
- Ph. D. in Botany with Molecular Plant Pathology
- Teaching expertise in Biotechnology, Plant Genetic Engineering, Cell and Molecular Biology, Plant metabolic pathway Engineering, Biochemistry, Plant Ecology.
Awards and Honor
- Qualified Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)- Agricultural Scientist Recruitment Board (ASRB)- National Eligibility Test (NET)- ICAR-ASRB-NET (2009) - Plant Physiology and Biochemistry
- Qualified Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) - University Grants Commission (UGC)- National Eligibility Test (NET)- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) (2010-2012)- UGC-JRF Life Sciences
- Visiting Ph. D. Scholar at Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Qualified Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) - University Grants Commission (UGC)- National Eligibility Test (NET)- Senior Research Fellowship (2012-2015)- UGC-SRF Life Sciences
- Dr. D S Kothari Postdoc Fellowship (2018-2021) Higher Fellowship Biotechnology
- His research interests include Molecular Plant Pathology, Plant pathogen interaction, Plant Specialized Metabolites, Plant Tissues Culture, Plant genetic engineering.
- Mahajan Y.A., Shinde B.A., Torreis A., Gade A., Patil V. S., John C. K., Kadoo N.Y., Nikam T.D. (2023) Pre sowing treatments, seed components and water imbibition aids seed germination of Gloriosa superba. MDPI Seeds, 2 (1), 15-29 (IF:NA) DOI: 10.3390/seeds201 0002 (ISSN No. 2674 1024)
- Mahajan Y.A., Shinde B.A., Gade A., Mulani F. A., Kasodekar A., Thulasiram H.V., Kadoo N.Y., Nikam T.D.(2021) Diversity assessment based on morphological traits, ISSR markers and metabolite content in Gloriosa superba L. from northern Western Ghats of India, Journal of Applied Research on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, 30:100388 (IF: 3.945) DOI: 10.1016/j.jarmap.2022.100388 (ISSN No. 2214 7861)
- Kallure G. S., Shinde B. A., Barvkar V. A., Kumari A., Giri A.P. (2021) Dietary influence on modulation of Helicoverpa armigera oral secretion composition leading to differential regulation of tomato plant defense. Plant Science, 314 (IF: 5.363) DOI: 10.1016/j.plantsci.2021.111120 (ISSN No. 0965 1748)
- Kallure G. S., Kumari A., Shinde B. A. A., Giri A.P. (2021) Characterized constituents of insect herbivore oral secretions and their influence on the regulation of plant defenses. Phytochemistry, 193:113008 (IF: 4.004) DOI: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2021.113008 (ISSN No. 0965 1748)
- Gharat S. A., Shinde B. A., Mule R. D., Punekar S. A., Dholakia B. B., Jayaramaiah R. H., Ramaswamy G., Giri A. P. (2020) Transcriptome and metabolite analysis reveal candidate genes of cerpegin biosynthetic pathway from Ceropegia bulbosa plant. Planta, 251:58 (IF: 4.540) DOI: 10.1007/s00425-019-03319-8 (ISSN No.: 0032-0935, e-ISSN No.: 1432-2048)
- Shinde B. A., Dholakia B. B., Hussain K., Aharoni A., Giri A. P., Kamble A. C. (2018) WRKY1 acts as a key component improving resistance against Alternaria solani in wild tomato, Solanum arcanum Peralta. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 16, 1502-1513. (IF: 13.26). DOI: 10.1111/pbi.12892 (ISSN No.:14677644, e-ISSN No.:14677652)
- Shinde B. A., Dholakia B. B., Hussain K.,Panda S., Meir S., Rogachev I.,Aharoni A., Giri A. P., Kamble A. C. (2017) Dynamic metabolic reprogramming of steroidal glycol-alkaloid and lignin biosynthesis may impart early blight resistance in wild tomato (Solanum arcanum Peralta). Plant Molecular Biology, 95, 411-423. (IF: 4.335). DOI: 10.1007/s11103-017-0660-2 (ISSN No.: 01674412, e-ISSN No.: 15735028)
- Itkin M., Heinig U., Tzfadia O., Bhide AJ., Shinde B., Cardenas P., Bocobza SE., Unger T., Malitsky S., Finkers R., Tikunov Y., bovy A., Chikate Y., Singh P., Rogachev I., Beekwilder J., Giri AP., Aharoni A. (2013) Biosynthesis of antinutritional alkaloids in solanaceous crops is mediated by clustered genes. Science, 341, 175-179. (IF: 3.714). DOI: 10.1126/science.1240230 (ISSN No.: 00368075, e-ISSN No.:10959203)
- Shinde B. A. and Kamble A. C. Bioactive compounds of drumstick (Moringa oleifera Lam.) Springer Nature Switzerland AG (2020) Murthy H. N., Bapat V. A. (eds.), ‘Bioactive compounds in underutilized fruits and nuts, Reference series in Phytochemistry, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-06120-3_41-1 (ISBN no: 978-3-030-30182-8)
- Textbook of Herbal Wealth for M.Sc. Botany, ISBN- 978-93-95855-51-8 Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University (YCMOU), Nashik- 422 222.
Conferences and Workshops
- Shinde B.A. participated in the workshop on ‘Elsevier Author Workshop’ Organized by Elsevier in association with National Chemical Laboratory, Pune during 9th Dec., 2016 at CSIR- National Chemical Laboratory, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the workshop on ‘Insights in Biology 2025’ Organized by Maharashtra Academy of Sciences and CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory, Pune during 29th Oct., 2015 at CSIR- National Chemical Laboratory, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the workshop on ‘Basic Linux Workshop’ Organized by Center for Modeling and Simulation, Savitribai Phule Pune University during 24-25th July, 2015 at Center for Modeling and Simulation, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the workshop on ‘Basic R for Life Sciences’ Organized by BioSakshat during 15-17th Jan, 2015 at Venture Center, NCL Innovation Park, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the workshop on ‘Basic Perl for Life Sciences’ Organized by BioSakshat during 07-09th Aug, 2014 at Venture Center, NCL Innovation Park, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the workshop on ‘Size Exclusion Chromatography/ Gel Permeation Chromatography’ Organized by Venture Center during 1st Sept., 2012 at Venture Center, NCL Innovation Park, Pune.
International Symposium/ Conferences
- Shinde B.A. participated in the International Symposium on ‘Proteomics Beyond IDs…’ Organized by CSIR- National Chemical Laboratory and Proteomics Society (India) during 22-24th Nov., 2012 at CSIR- National Chemical Laboratory, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated and presented research paper in the 3rd Global Conference, on ‘Plant pathology for Food Security’ Organized by Rajasthan College of Agriculture and Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture & Technology, Udaipur during 10-13th Jan., 2012 at Rajasthan College of Agriculture, Udaipur.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the Indo-Italian Conference on ‘Green & Clean Environment (GCE-2008)’ Organized by MAEER’s MIT College of Engineering, Pune during 20-21st March, 2008 at MAEER’s MIT College of Engineering, Pune.
National Symposium/ Conferences
- Shinde B.A. participated and given Oral presentation in the National Symposium on ‘Emerging trends in plant health management in relation to climate change’ organized by University of Horticulture Sciences, Bagalkot and Indian Phytopathological Society, New Delhi during 12-13th Sept., 2017 at Department of Plant Pathology, College of Horticulture, GKVK, Bengaluru.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the Mini-Symposium on ‘Metabolomics and Volatomics towards disease markers’ Organized by National Center for Cell Science, Pune during 16th May, 2016 at National Center for Cell Science, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated as Poster presentation in the National Conference on ‘Recent trends in plant Sciences’ Organized by Anekant Education Society’s Post graduate Department of Botany, Tuljaram Chaturchand College, Baramati during 03-04th Feb., 2012 at Tuljaram Chaturchand College, Baramati, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated as Poster presentation in the National Seminar on ‘Plant Biodiversity for Sustainable Development’ Organized by Department of Botany, University of Pune during 10-12th March, 2011 at Department of Botany, University of Pune, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the National Symposium on ‘Accelerating Biology’ organized by Centre for development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) during 14-16th Dec., 2010 at Centre for development of Advanced Computing, Pune.
- Shinde B.A. participated in the National Seminar on ‘Environment and it’s Conservation’ Organized by Youth Identity and Department of Environmental Science, University of Pune during 9th Oct., 2010 at Department of Environmental Science, University of Pune, Pune.
- Dr. Balkrishna Shinde as resource person in the “Value added Course in Bioinformatics” organised by Department of Zoology, Shivaji University, Kolhapur sponsored by DST-PURSE Phase II, New Delhi During 22nd to 27th August, 2022.
- Dr. Balkrishna Shinde as resource person in the two day workshop on “Analysis of UV, XRD, FTIR, HPLC, AAS for UG and PG Students” organised by Pune District Education Association’s Baburaoji Gholap College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Sangavi, Pune on 9th and 11th March, 2023.
- Dr. Balkrishna Shinde as resource person in the “ Molecular Techniques” organised by Pune District Education Association’s Waghire College of Arts, Commerce & Science, Saswad, Pune on 29th March, 2023.
Position in journal
- Review editor for Microbiotechnology section in Frontiers in Microbiology journal (IF: 6.064)
- Reviewer for Journal of Soil, Plant and Environment (JSPAE) (IF: 2.328)
- Reviewer for Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants (IF: 3.023)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sericulture (PGDS) from Department of Zoology, Shivaji University, Kolhapur (2019-2020) 92.5%