Assistant Professor -Bioinformatics
MIT School of Bioengineering Sciences & Research, MIT-ADT University, Pune
Dr. Shama Mujawar has research interests in Genomics,Proteomics, Structural Biology and Network Biology. Her experience in analyzing the bacterial genomes has led to the identification of indispensable protein targets, vaccine candidates and drug compounds effective against multidrug resistant bacterial species. Meanwhile, while handling these genomes she has developed her interest in Nutrigenomics to bridge the gap between the lifestyle and other chronic diseases based on diet, involvement of genes and its expression.
- Ph.D.inBiology,Department of Biological Sciences, SunwayUniversity, Malaysia
- M.Sc.in Bioinformatics,First Class with Distinction
- B.Sc.in Biotechnology
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- InSc Research Excellence Award, 2021.
- National Education Brilliance Award (NEBA) in "Top 10 Best Professor of the Year" for the year 2020-2021.
- Awarded certificate of Recognition in “Top 50 Expert Faculties in the field of Automobile / BioChemical / Industrial / Environmental / Ceramic / Bio-Technology Engineering Across India”, 2020 from uLektz Learning Solutions Pvt Ltd.
- Recognized as PhD guide in Bioinformatics at the Dr. D.Y. Patil Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Institute (DYPBBI), Tathawade, Pune.
- Awarded full Scholarship for pursuing my Ph.D. at Sunway University, Malaysia (August 2016-2019).
- Lancaster University travel grant for research collaboration, United Kingdom.
- “Reviewer” and scientific member of Science Publishing Group (SGP) for the journal Computational Biology and Bioinformatics”.
- “Book Editor”, Bentham Books, Bentham Science Publishers.
- “Editor”, for International Journal of Life Research, TMR Journals.
- “Assistant Editor” for International Journal of Applied chemical and Biological Sciences.
SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE MEMBER
- Member, “Institute for Engineering Research and Publication”, India.
- Member, “Bioleagues Worldwide”, India.
INTERNATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEMBER
- Scientific committee member for 1st International Conference on Renewable Energy and Green Technology (ICREGT-2020), organized by SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Ghaziabad.
- 1st International Conference on Multidisciplinary and Current Educational Research (ICMCER-2020, Thailand)
- Mujawar, S., Mishra, R., Pawar, S., Gatherer, D. and Lahiri, C., 2019. Delineating the Plausible Molecular Vaccine Candidates and Drug Targets of Multidrug-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii. Frontiers in cellular and infection microbiology, 9.
- Mujawar, S., Gatherer, D. and Lahiri, C., 2018. Paradigm shift in drug re-purposing from phenalenone to phenaleno-furanone to combat multi-drug resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 8, p.402.
- Pawar, S., Ashraf, M., Mujawar, S. and Lahiri, C., 2018. In silico Identification of the Indispensable Quorum Sensing Proteins of Multidrug Resistant Proteus mirabilis. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 8, p.269.
- Roberts, R., Yee, P.T.I., Mujawar, S., Lahiri, C., Poh, C.L. and Gatherer, D., 2019. A decade of sustained selection pressure on two surface sites of the VP1 protein of Enterovirus A71 suggests that immune evasion may be an indirect driver for virulence. Scientific Reports, 9(1), p.5427.
- Ashraf, M.I., Ong, S.K., Mujawar, S., Pawar, S., More, P., Paul, S. and Lahiri, C., 2018. A side-effect free method for identifying cancer drug targets. Scientific reports, 8.
- Bhagwat R., Joshi B.J., Chaudhary S., Pardeshi T.A., Mujawar S.N., Talware S.S., Chakraborty S.S.,Kandale V.V., 2015.Researching novel variants involved in Alzheimer’s disease via next generation sequencing variant analysis RNA sequence data files. International Journal of BIOASSAYS, 5.1 (2016):4748-4755.
- Mujawar, S.N.A*., 2016. Insilico Drug Prediction and Validation of Lead candidates on Plasmodium Falciparum Erythrocyte Membrane Protein 1 (pfEMP1) against Malaria. International Journal for Computational Biology (IJCB), 5(1), pp.28-37.
- Mujawar, S.N.A*., Parhi, P. and Chaudhary, S., 2016. Insilico drug designing and Lead Compound validation against YycG histidine kinase. International Journal for Computational Biology (IJCB), 5(1), pp.3-12.
- Joshi, M.S. and Mujawar, S.N.A*., 2016. Exploring the pre-erythrocytic stage of the malaria parasite for possible target proteins to develop an effective vaccine and looking into available preventive measures against malaria: Can SPECT & SPECT2 act as potential targets for an effective vaccine. International Journal for Computational Biology (IJCB), 5(1), pp.88-94.
- Sood, N., Chaudhary, S., Pardeshi, T., Mujawar, S., Deshmukh, K.B., Sheikh, S.A. and Sharma, P., 2015. In-silico study of small cell lung cancer based on protein structure and function: A new approach to mimic biological system. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 6(3), p.125.
- Zafar, I., Sharma, R.K., Mujawar, S*. and Choudhary, S., 2015. Terminalia arjuna: Alternative treatment for cardiovascular diseases. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res, 35, pp.52-56.
- Chaudhary, S., Mehendale, S., Metkar, S., Pardeshi, T., Jobby, A., Kandale, V., Mujawar, S. and Patange, A., 2014. DSD: a database of SNP associated diseases. International Journal of Bioassays, 3(09), pp.3286-3290.
- Deshmukh, K.B., Mujawar, S*., Pardeshi, T., Chaudhary, S., Sharma, P., benze Thobias, I., Sheikh, S. and Sood, N., A Novel, Selective Inhibitor of Hepatitis C Virus Targeted against the Viral RNA-Dependent RNA-Polymerase.
- Sheikh, S., Pardeshi, T., Mujawar, S., Deshmukh, K., Sood, N., Sharma, P. and Chaudhary, S., Study of Interaction between Wild type and Mutant HIV-1 protease and Cyclic Urea Inhibitor Using InSilico Techniques.
- Thobias, I.B., Mujawar, S*., Pardeshi, T., Chaudhary, S., Batra, M., Rao, S.P., Deshmukh, K.B. and Raje, S., Identification of Novel Inhibitors for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus by Targeting IFN-α and FCγR2A: A Structure Based Pharmacophore Approach.
- Rao, S.P., Mujawar, S*., Chaudhary, S. and Thobias, I.B., In-Silico Discovery of Novel Inhibitors Against PrP Protein (E196K, V203I and E211Q): Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease.
- Kandale, V.V., Mujawar, S.N*., Welasly, P.J. and Nimbalkar, J.M., 2013. Development of integrated database of neurodegenerative diseases (IDND). Rev. Res, 2(9).
- Mujawar, S*., KANDALE, V. and WELASLY, P., 2013. Sequence analysis and homology modeling of SHANK3 protein involved in Autism.
- Mujawar, S.N*., Kandale, V.V. and Welasly, P.J., Homology modelling and binding site identification of DXR of Plasmodium falciparum: New drug target for plasmodium falciparum.
- Mujawar, S., Abdella, B., & Lahiri, C. (2020). Strategic Role Players of Important Antimicrobial-Resistant Pathogens. In Antimicrobial Resistance, IntechOpen.
- Mujawar, S., Abd El-Aal, A. A. A., & Lahiri, C. (2020, May). Variant Analysis from Bacterial Isolates Affirms DnaK Crucial for Multidrug Resistance. In International Work-Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering (pp. 237-248). Springer, Cham.
- Pawar, S., Ashraf, M.I., Mujawar, S. and Lahiri C., 2018, July. Influential Quorum Sensing Proteins of Multidrug Resistant Proteus mirabilis Causing Urinary Tract Infections. In IX International Conference on Complex Systems (p. 188).
- CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) “Biomedical Research”
EPIGEUM (OXFORD RESEARCH SKILL COURSES)
- Research with humans in the health and social sciences
- Introduction to Research Skills- Irish version
- Good research practice
- Managing your research project
- Getting published in the Sciences
- Introduction to Research Skills- Irish version
- Intellectual property in the research context
- Academic entrepreneurship: An introduction
- Conferences. Presenting and networking
- Research methods in arts and humanities
- Career planning in the sciences
- Working with your supervisor
- Organized online FDP on “Pedagogy and Teaching learning in the current scenario of COVID-19 Pandemic” from 26th -27th Feb, 2021 at Dr. D.Y. Patil Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Institute, Pune.
- Online FDP on “Leadership and Excellence” from 23rd -27th Nov, 2020 at National Institute of Technology, New Delhi.
- Online FDP on “Cyber Security” from 5th – 9th oct, 2020 at Government Engineering college, New Delhi.
- 2nd Conference on Interdisciplinary Research in Health Sciences, Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune from 27-29, Oct 2020.
- “Chaperones as effective drug targets against Salmonellosis” in International Conference on Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (ICBMBB) 2018 on 15-16th August 2018, at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- “Indispensable Quorum Sensing Proteins of Multidrug Resistant Proteus mirabilis: The Strategy Players of Urinary Tract Infection” in New England Complex Systems Institute (ICCS 2018) from 22-27 July 2018, at Hyatt Regency, Cambridge, Boston.
- “In silico identification of the indispensable quorum sensing proteins of multidrug resistant Proteus mirabilis” in 26th Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology held on 6th-10th Oct 2018, at Hyatt Regency Hotel, Chicago, United States.
- “Paradigm Shift in Drug Re-Purposing from Phenalenone to Phenaleno-Furanone to Combat Multi-Drug Resistant Salmonella Enterica Serovar Typhi” in 7th International Conference on Research in Life Sciences and Healthcare (ICRLSH), Mauritius.
- “An Interactome Analyses to Reveal Chaperone Proteins as Effective Drug Targets against Salmonellosis” in 4th Annual Microbiology and infectious Diseases Asia Congress conference held on 10th and 11th Oct 2017 by Oxford Global, at Concorde Hotel, Singapore.
- “An Interactome Analyses to Reveal Chaperone Proteins as Effective Drug Targets against Salmonellosis” in ROCKY 2017 conference in Colorado on December 7-9, 2017.
- Workshop Speaker: National Workshops held on Computer Aided Molecular Design, Molecular Dynamics and Next Generation Sequencing organized by RASA Life Science Informatics in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Awarded as Young Scientist for the oral presentation on “Homology Modelling and Binding Site Identification of DXR of P. Falciparum: New Drug Target for P. Falciparum” in National Conference on “Recent Trends in Emerging Infectious Diseases and Environmental Pollution “held on 31st Jan & 1 Feb, 2013.
- Awarded as the Best Trainer in consecutive three quarters at RASA Life Science Informatics, 2014 and 2015.
- Won 1st prize for the oral presentation on “Sequence Analysis and Homology Modeling of SHANK3 proteins involved in autism” in Annual Post Graduate Student’s Seminar held on 5th Feb, 2013.
- Won 1st prize at the state level in AVISHKAR “Sustainable Forms of Energy Resources”, organized by Solapur University held on 4th Dec, 2008.
- “Insilco Studies and Modeling on pre-clinical Lipid II binding peptides” in CDAC Conference, Pune (19-21 Jan, 2016).
- “Role of TGF-Beta proteins in Kidney Fibrosis: An Insilico Approach” in CDAC Conference, Pune.
- “Sequence Annotation, Homology Modeling, and Docking studies for Inhibition of pfDXR” in Symposium on “Accelerating Biology 2013”. The Next Wave (20-22 Feb, 2013).
- Insilico Characterization of Antifreeze proteins using Computational tools and servers” in 11th National Conference on Recent Advances in Nano Biotechnology” (20-21 March, 2012).
- “Insilco Characterization of GPCR-A Potential Candidate for Drug Discovery” in National Conference on “Recent Trends in Life Sciences with Special References to Animal Physiology, Biotechnology and Biodiversity” (19 & 20 Oct, 2011).
- Monash Research Methods workshop on “Introduction to Ensemble”, held on 18th Feb 2019
- Integrated Biology workshop organized by Agilent Technologies at Monash University, Malaysia, held on 5th and 6th Dec2018.
- RNA-Seq data Analysis workshop at UMBI, UKM from 12th- 14th Nov 2018.
- International Symposium on Systems Biology at Monash University held on 9th Nov 2018.
- Successfully conducted the Sunway collaborative workshop with Biodiscovery Group as the Co-Organizer of the workshop held on 7th- 9th Mar 2018.
- Successfully conducted workshop on “Modern Methods of Drug Discovery” in collaboration with FIST of Sunway College held on 9th Nov 2017.
- 3 days National workshop on “Insilco Drug Discovery& Cheminformatics” (28 -30 Sep, 2012).
BIOINFORMATICS AND BIOTECHNOLOGY SKILLS
- Biotechnology skills: Microbiology, Molecular biology, Biochemistry, Plant tissue culture and Environmental Science
- Bioinformatics skills: Commercial Software: Schrodinger Docking Software, MOE Molecular Dynamics Software, Gene Spring, Geneious NGS Analysis software Other Softwares: Protein-Protein and Structure- Ligand based docking (Schrodinger, Autodock), Molecular Modeling (MOE) and Dynamics (MOE, Gromacs), Discovery Studio, NGS Data Analysis (Galaxy, Genome workbench, and IGV Software), Network Biology (STRING and Cytoscape), and various other tools and databases.